Last week, I finished the front cover. First, I did a test cut on some scrap acrylic to test feeds & speeds. I actually never cut acrylic before, and heard it was kind of a pain in the butt to get right. But the concensus seemed to be to do fast shallow cuts, so I cut at the lowest Makita rpm setting at 1500mm/min with a 2-flute 1/16″ bit and a doc of 0.25mm. There was no melting or rubbing whatsoever and the cuts were clean, so I couldn’t be happier. The test piece was a wee bit oversized though, so I shaved off a hair for it to fit snugly into the back cover recess.
With all that out of the way, time to cut the actual front cover out of 3mm black perspex.
I used the middle screen cutout to mill some additional parts. These were superglued to the back side and will add some much needed thickness around the buttons.
Now that I have this piece ready, time to make a mockup! This thing is looking fabulous!
I can’t wait for it to actually work…